After you buy a new home, there are many things to do before you can start enjoying it. Here is a list of tasks that you should complete in order to ensure your safety and comfort:
- Change the locks – As soon as you move in, make sure to change all the locks on your doors, windows, and garage. This is important for security purposes; you don’t want any unwanted visitors entering your home! You may want to consider installing IoT locks for added security. These locks use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity to allow you to control them remotely from your smartphone or tablet. With an IoT lock, you can easily check to make sure your doors are locked when you’re away from home and even give access codes to family members or visitors if needed. You can also receive alerts if someone tries to break into your house and track any attempts at access.
- Check for damage – Before starting any renovation projects or moving furniture into the house, take some time to walk around and inspect for any existing damage. Make sure to document anything that needs repair so that it can be fixed quickly and efficiently down the line. After a thorough inspection, you should pay close attention to areas that are more prone to damage such as the roof, walls, and foundation. Check for any missing shingles on the roof, cracks in the walls or floorboards, and any signs of shifting or settling in the foundation. Make sure to test all windows and doors for proper operation as these are some of the most commonly damaged areas due to everyday use. Additionally, take a look at all plumbing fixtures and appliances to ensure that everything is working properly and that there are no water leaks anywhere. Remember to document any damages or repairs that need to be made so they can be addressed quickly. Look for mold growth in dark, damp places such as basements and attics – this can cause serious health problems if it’s not taken care of immediately. It’s also wise to have your water tested for lead levels as lead poisoning can cause serious health complications.
- Install smoke detectors – To ensure your safety, install smoke detectors on every floor of your home and in each bedroom. Make sure to check the batteries regularly and replace them at least once a year. Once you’ve installed your smoke detectors, make sure to develop and practice a fire safety plan with all family members. You should know the fastest exit routes from each room and use them to practice a few drills so everyone knows what to do in case of fire. If you have children, it’s especially important that they understand the gravity of a fire emergency and are able to take the necessary steps in an efficient manner.
- Change address with local authorities – Don’t forget to update your address with the post office, DMV, and other organizations. This will help ensure that you receive all important mail such as bills or packages in a timely manner.
- Start planning for renovations – If you plan on renovating soon, now is the time to start researching materials, designers, contractors, and more! You can also begin identifying any potential problems that need to be addressed before starting construction work. Once you have completed your inspection and address change, it is the perfect time to start planning for any renovations that you may want to make. Renovations can add value to your home and give it a more personalized feel. It is important to create a realistic budget and timeline for the project before beginning.
- Verify electrical panel directory – Make sure to check the labels on your home’s electrical panel, which should be located in the basement or a utility room. This step is important for safety reasons, as it will tell you the types of circuits and their respective voltage ratings. Additionally, if any of the labels have become illegible due to wear and tear, have an electrician replace them so that you can easily identify each circuit. Electricity is a crucial component of any home, so it is essential to make sure all the electrical work in your house is up to code. Electrical wiring should always be installed by a certified professional who is familiar with the electrical codes and regulations in your area. A qualified electrician can also ensure that all wiring is securely fastened and properly insulated.
With these tasks completed, you can begin enjoying your new home and making it your own! And don’t forget to budget for unexpected expenses as they will inevitably arise. Be sure to check this site for more tips, good luck!